Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Edge of Civilzation

Tumbleweeds, cacti, and lastly wild cattle. It was almost like jumping of the edge of the planet and landing on the frontsteps of Mars. I remember when I was little I would sit and watch old western shows and also many cartoons depicting the western half of the US thinking it was impossible for human life to survive and thrive in an environment like the North Texas--New Mexican border area. In my lifetime, I have been to numerous parts of the United States including much of the north-east and as far as Florida, but never have I changed geographical landscapes such as the Midwest has shown me. The team and I loaded up the trusty ol' buses and headed north to Alpine, Tx. to play against the Lobos of Sul Ross State University. Going into this week we knew we would have to play at our best to take down these guys. We had to start fast and control the tempo of the gameplay while simultaneously keeping their offense out of the endzone. Also, we had to play in a foreign climate than ours. Lobos Stadium is located on what feels like a plateau with a mountain casting an enormous shadow along the field. As a precaution to these what the team called "extreme conditions," the team gave it our all at practice to get used to pressing on after fatigue has set in. Upon arriving to the hotel the team noticed that our hotel appeared out of nowhere. Just looking out of the windows of the bus, all you see is mountains and desert. This sight carried over into our warmup before the game as we walked through and went through our drills. When the kickoff whistle blew, my fellow bulldogs charged to attack the Lobos and at the end of the exhibition, the Bulldogs proved to be the "Bigger Dogs" in the fight. We pride ourselves on winning with class, so how perfect was it that our offense held a comfortable lead throughout the fourth which granted us the oppurtunity to kneel and end the game. It also wasn't to bad that I caught my first interception! Well. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment