Monday, October 17, 2011

An Unsettling Defeat.

October 15th, of the year 2011; a date I have been counting down since my signing day way back in May. In May, I was still one of the few still being recruited and it was a three-way split decsion between the University of Mary Hardin Baylor, Texas Lutheran University, and the McMurry WarHawks. Letting things unfold and making the best of whatever oppurtunity comes up is usually how I handle most tough decisions. When signing day finally arrived I went through all of my paperwork and realized that Texas Lutheran offered me the best oppurtunity to be on the field and helped the most financially. A friend of mine however took interest in McMurry and from that day it was established that on October 15th, we would no longer be brothers. Instead we become rivals that will lay everything on the line for our respective teams. It was a bright October morning that smelled much like football out here in Seguin. The team and I felt that we prepared all that we could even though many of us shared similar doubts of the scheme our defensive coordinator decided we were gonna run. Match up wise, we thought we reviewed and practiced every possibility they could throw at us. We were ready. 1 o'clock came and it was now time to go out and leave it all on the field. Naturally, even though I prayed and wished that we wouldn't, we started out pretty slow and McMurry got out to a pretty good lead. A call here and a couple blown coverages later it seemed as if the Bulldogs were laying down. This was false. The fight in our spirits always pulls through for us. We showed them that we could drive the length of the field and score. Halftime was a bit sketchy. I was oblivious to those ready to lay down, and encouraged those who were still fighting in the trenches. We came out fired up, but deflated as the game progressed. It became a little shameful to be on the brink of losing at home especially in such a manner. More importantly it struck me that I did not sign up for a losing season. I take the blame for the loss because I should have created more big plays when no one could answer the aerial strike the opposing quaterback was completing. I just know that I still have a love for the game, but I never had a passion for losing. It must not happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment